Visas and Immigration

Please note visas and immigration rules are changing from 2021. For more information refer to the Government's website


NHSScotland’s workforce is diverse and multicultural – just like our patients. We often look beyond the UK and Europe to attract the best candidates. We treat all candidates in the same way.

If you have been offered a post within one of NHSScotland’s Health Boards, you will be issued a Certificate of Sponsorship to allow you to apply for a Tier 2 (General Visa), if required.

This visa will grant you entry to the UK and allow you to work within the role and the Health Board in which you have been offered a position.

In addition to the Certificate of Sponsorship that the employing NHS Health Board will supply, you must be able to meet the other eligibility requirements.

To find out more about the Certificate of Sponsorship, please visit the Government's Website

Visa Requirements

A Tier 2 (General) applicant must score 70 points against 3 requirements as follows:

  • 50 points for attributes (qualification, salary, Certificate of Sponsorship)
  • 10 points for English language
  • 10 points for maintenance

Appropriate Salary

You will be asked to prove to the United Kingdom Visas and Immigration Service (UKVI) that you will be receiving an appropriate salary for the job you intend to take up in the UK. The amount is currently set at £30,000 (GBP). The employing Health Board will indicate on your Certificate of Sponsorship what your salary will be.

Personal Savings

You will be asked to demonstrate to UKVI that you have had a minimum of £945 (GBP) for 90 days prior to submitting your Tier 2 (General) visa application. You will be required to submit the relevant bank statements as proof.

Knowledge of English language

You may need to prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply. This can be done by either passing an approved English test or having an academic qualification that was taught in English and is recognised by UK NARIC. You will not need to prove your knowledge of English if you’re a national of an English native-speaking country.

Please visit the Government's Website to find out more about approved English tests.

Please visit the UK NARIC's website to find out more about a recognised academic qualification. 

Criminal Record Certificate

As you will be working within healthcare, you will need to provide a criminal record certificate from any country you have stayed in for a total of 12 months or more over the last 10 years.

Tuberculosis Test Results

You may need to have tuberculosis (TB) test if you are coming to the UK for more than 6 months and are resident in a specific country. A list of countries can be found on the Government's Website.

Visa Fees

Your employing Health Board will pay for your Certificate of Sponsorship, which allows you to apply for your Tier 2 (General) visa. However it will be your responsibility to pay for your visa application and the Immigration Health Surcharge. The table below shows the current cost of a Tier 2 (General) visa: 

For more information visit the Government's Website.

Immigration Health Surcharge

You will be asked to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge of £400 per year, per person.

Family Members (Dependants)

Your family members (dependants) can come with you when you come to the UK on a Tier 2 (General) visa. A dependant is your wife, husband or partner; your child under 18 or your child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as a dependant.

Personal savings

You will be asked to prove that your dependants can be supported while they’re in the UK. Each dependant must have £630 (GBP) available to them whether they apply with you or separately. This is in addition to the £945 (GBP) you must have to support yourself.

Application Process for Dependants

Dependants can apply at the same time as you or alternatively there are separate processes for applying separately to you.

To find our more information on Tier 2 (General) visa, please visit the Government’s Website.

Example Visa Costs: