Regulatory bodies

In the United Kingdom, there are several Health and Social Care Regulations working closely together to ensure the safety of the public.


In the UK, the General Medical Council is the public body that maintains the official register of medical practitioners within the United Kingdom. Its chief responsibility is to “protect, promote and maintain the health and safety of the public” by controlling entry to the register, and suspending or removing members when necessary. It also sets the standards for medical schools in the UK.

To practice medicine in Scotland, you must have a valid GMC Registration with a Licence to Practice – this is known as Full Registration.

Below are the main types of registration which allow doctors to work in different posts. Please click on each option to find out more information. 

To find out how to register, please visit the GMC website. As there are many routes to gaining GMC Full Registration, this will depend on many factors including your nationality, qualification and experience. This tool will identify the correct route for you and will give you guidance on the steps you need to take.

There are costs involved in gaining your GMC registration. Please check the Fees webpage of the GMC website for further information.



The Nursing and Midwifery Council in the UK ensures nurses, midwives and nursing associates have the skills they need to care for people safety, with integrity, expertise, respect and compassion, from the moment they step into their first job. The NMC supports the healthcare professionals on the register to deliver the highest standards of care.

To practice as a healthcare professional in Scotland, you must register with the NMC. There are different types of registration. Please click on the options below to find out more information. 

There are costs involved in gaining your NMC registration, they will vary depending on the country you trained in. Please click on the links below to find out more information. They will take you to the NMC website and you will be able to choose the country you trained in and find out the exact process.

To find out more please visit the NMC website or contact the International Recruitment Service.


The Health & Care Professions Council in the UK regulates 16 different health and care professions ensuring the protection of the public. They do this by setting standards for professionals’ education, training and practice, keeping a register of professionals who meet their standards and take action if professionals on the register do not meet standards.

All professions regulated by HCPC have one or more designated titles that are protected by law and professional must be registered to use them. To find out more information about the professions and protected titles, please click visit the HCPC website.

There are specific standards you need to meet before you can register, which will differ depending on the chosen profession. Please visit the HCPC website to find out more about the standards. To find out how to get on the Register, please visit the International Applications site on HCPC website.

In order to practice in the UK as a Health & Care Professional, you must be registered with HCPC. Anyone not on the Register who uses a designated title may be breaking the law and could be prosecuted.

There are costs involved in gaining your HCPC registration. The registration fee that covers you for two years is £180 in total (£90 per year).