Dispensing opticians advise patients on different types of lenses and frame styles depending on their prescription. They give patients guidance on how to wear and care for their new glasses. With further specialist training, dispensing opticians can also fit and provide advice on contact lenses based on a prescription from an Optometrist or Ophthalmologist
Dispensing opticians often act as practice managers in an optometry practice or their own practice so leadership skills will be necessary in that role.
As a Dispensing optician, other duties may include:
- preparing optical prescriptions
- taking measurements to ensure frames fit correctly and comfortably
- adjusting and repairing frames
- giving advice to patients with low vision aids
- ordering lenses and other optical products