Become a Modern Apprentice in NHSScotland
Becoming a Modern Apprentice is a great way to start your career in healthcare. You’ll get a job, get paid and get an industry-recognised qualification. Modern Apprenticeships are open to anyone aged 16 to 24 years.
Watch the video of Harve talk about her Modern Apprenticeship experience.
What to expect
You will complete your Modern Apprenticeship in the NHS in a healthcare setting such as a hospital, care home or community health centre, where you will be paid at least the Scottish Living Wage. You’ll learn on the job too, gaining a qualification as well as new skills and work experience. You may attend your local college or specialist training provider to learn specific skills or for additional training.
Modern Apprenticeship facts:
- they’re available at four different levels, all mapped to the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF)
- your qualification will be accredited by the SQA, so you can be sure your training and knowledge will be up to date
- it could take you 1-4 years to complete your Modern Apprenticeship, depending on the level
Some examples of Modern Apprenticeship programmes available in the NHS in Scotland include:
- Healthcare Support
- Business and Administration
- IT and Telecommunications
- Creative and Digital Media
- Dental Nursing
You can also visit these websites to learn more about apprenticeships: