Become a Modern Apprentice in NHSScotland
Becoming a Modern Apprentice (MA) is a great way to start your career in Healthcare. Being an MA means you will get a job, get paid and get an industry recognised qualification! Modern Apprenticeships are open to anyone aged 16 to 24 years.
Modern Apprenticeship Frameworks
NHSScotland Modern Apprenticeships
NHSScotland offers a number of Modern Apprenticeship opportunities every year, across our health boards and public bodies. Our current vacancies are advertised on our Apprenticeship Vacancies page.
A Modern Apprenticeship is a proper job, working in a healthcare setting such as a hospital, care home or community health centre, where you will be paid at least the Scottish Living Wage. Learning on the job, you'll get a qualification as well as gaining skills and work experience. You may also attend a local college or specialist training provider to learn specific skills or for additional training.
Modern Apprenticeship facts:
- Modern Apprenticeships are available at four different levels, all mapped to the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF)
- Your qualification will be accredited by the Scottish Qualifications Authority Accreditation (SQA), so you can be sure that your skills, training and knowledge is relevant and up to date
- Modern Apprenticeships can take 1,2,3 or 4 years depending on the level
Some examples of Modern Apprenticeship programmes available in the NHS in Scotland include:
- Healthcare Support
- Social Services and Healthcare
- Business and Administration
- Facilities Services/Management
- Electrical Maintenance
- Mechanical Maintenance
- Professional Cookery
- Life Sciences
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Digital Application and IT Support
- IT and Telecommunications
- Creative and Digital Media
- Dental Nursing
- Pharmacy Services
- Life Sciences
Check with your local NHSScotland Board to find out about Modern Apprentice vacancies in your area or speak to your careers advisor.